Saturday, April 4, 2009

The first I'm sure of many

Today we spent the more at the Quick Care (walk in clinic) and the ER for x rays with Bryce. I'm sure this will be often as we have two little boys. :) Let me back up and explain. This past Monday Bryce was jumping off the couch into pillows... one of his favorite activities. Some how this time ended in tears and a swollen knee. I think when he jumped his foot got stuck in the couch causing him to twist his leg. I didn't see the whole thing just a little out of the corner of my eye. In any case he was screaming and his knee was hot and swollen. After watching the movie Cars and icing his knee he stopped crying but still refused to put any weight on the leg. I decided to wait until the next day to call the DR. rather than run to the ER. Tuesday he seemed to be better..no crying just still wanted to be carried and a little swelling. He still wanted to go play with his buddy Eden as is our Tuesday morning routine so we did. He crawled all over her house and climbed on the couch. (Eden was quite bored with the invalid Bryce) I decided to wait and see what happened over the next few days. He continued to crawl every where until Thursday... Thursday he started to ride his bike and walk a little bit. He kinda looked like a drunken sailor when he walked.  He would say"Hey get up and walk!" and then try walking. hahaha. Bye Friday morning he was walking a bit more steady and doing well. There hadn't been any more swelling and he would often ask to walk.  We went to my parents house for the evening and he did well. Climbing everything like usual but by bedtime he was limping pretty bad and saying his leg hurt. So that brings us to today.. Saturday. I decided maybe we should have it looked at and rule out any fractures or tears. So the doctor checked him out. She said she was surprised he was not screaming as he had a loose joint with popping. She said if Jim or I had this we would be screaming with pain when she moved it around! She said Bryce was a tough little guy, he didn't say a word or shed a tear. She asked for x-Rays (which we had to go to the ER for) and when she looked at them she said there was no broken bones or dislocation . She said it was most likely a stretched ligament or muscle and to just keep an eye on it. If he continued to have problems or it got worse in 5-10 days we are to go to the orthopedist. She said with the things he was doing and the fact that he wasn't crying she felt it would heal on its own and wasn't something serious. If it was he would let us know by crying or not using it.

So that is the long and the short of our little Wild man. (that's our pediatrician's nickname for him) Like I say I'm sure we are going to become frequent flyers at the hospital/ ER with these two boys. :0
Thank you to all of you who have been praying for our little Bryce. He is doing well tonight and is enjoying his Motrin. :) the doctor recommended keeping him on Motrin to keep any inflammation down. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh the joys of "boy-dom" :-)