Thursday, November 15, 2007

My sick little boy



Poor little Bryce has gotten his first bad illness. Some how he contracted the RSV virus (Respiratory Synctial Viruses) which then caused him Bronchiolitis (inflammation of the smaller branches in the lungs. It has been quite an adventure! It started out Monday looking like just a cold along with teething. Then Tuesday night he was coughing really bad. Weds morning he woke up wheezing and having a hard time catching his breath. I called the pediatrician and took him in to be seen. Of course by the time I got there Bryce stopped wheezing and never coughed for the dr. The doctor said it was just a cold and the wheezing was probably due to it being really cold that night. He said I was doing everything right: humidifier, saline drops, increasing fluids, and keeping him away from others. He said if the wheezing came back it was probably the RSV and/or Bronchiolitis. He said they don't prescribe medication or recommend anything over the counter like decongestants or cough suppressants until age 6yr because it hasn't been proven to work and it lessens the effectiveness of antibiotics later in life. So I went home with nothing and a miserable child.

After Bryce woke from his nap he was wheezing again and very distraught. When I called the dr. again I found I was suppose to have had a prescription from the dr for Albuterol and an antibiotic. when the nurse found I didn't have either she checked to make sure and sure enough it was in the chart and the dr said he told me. ( I think he must of gotten side tracked because he likes to talk to me about Idaho as he really likes it in Boise.) Anyway.. long story short I got the medication and Bryce is starting to feel better. Gotta say though giving a almost 7 month old baby an inhaler is quite a challenge! He likes to sit in the steamy bathroom with me though. It reminds me of me growing up. :) Mom, you probably understand better than most.

Even though he's sick Bryce still likes to play and started getting on all fours and rocking. He gets so proud of him self!! I love it!



Can I go to bed now??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, no, my poor little grandbaby! Yes, I remember all too well, the nights in the steamy bathroom! I am glad he got some medicine and is getting better. I hope you can still come to Idaho. My love to you, mom

Anonymous said...

hallo cheryl ich hoffe das es dem kleinen Bryce wieder besser geht. viele Grüße auch von Mareike , hannelore