So today I thought I would let Bryce play outside since it had stopped raining and was sunny out. Bryce loves to be outside! Little did I know that was going to turn into quite an ordeal.
I was watching Bryce playing in the rocks when he popped out his "snooli" (pacifier) and put a rock in his mouth. I hurried and opened his mouth and tried to sweep it out but it went down his throat anyway. I patted his back in an attempt to get him to cough it up but no such luck. He started crying and I panicked. I called our pediatrician and the nurse was to call me back. I tried calling everyone I knew but got all answering machines. Finally Jim called me back and tried to calm me down... but only to have to go as he was driving.
The nurse called me back and said to bring Bryce to the walk in clinic and have him seen. This made me panic again and I started crying. She assured me things would be fine and that since Bryce was not in respiratory distress taking him in was just routine since he was under a year. She told me I wasn't a bad mom and I did everything right. Sometime kids just put things in their mouths.
I prayed and packed up Bryce to take him to the Dr. but the panic started setting in again. I called my friend Lindsey. Surely with soon to be five kids she would be able to reassure me! And she did. She got me laughing again and I began to relax. As it turned out Bryce was fine. The x-ray showed no blockage of the lungs or esophagus. Now it's just a matter of time for that rock to pass through.
What a relief! As anyone else experienced this as a mom?
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm so glad that everything turned out okay!! Just keep feeding him raisins so that rock will come right on out! LOL!
I'm glad I could be there for you! You're a great mom and like I said, when then new baby swallows money you'll be an ol' pro at what to do next! LOL!
Oh my word, isn't it scary when something happens that's out of your control (like when Maddox broke his nose?). But, it happens and I'm glad to hear that Bryce is going to be okay!
Post a Comment